New Mexico

October 9 –10, 2016

It was my turn to drive from Alamosa to Taos. Torrey had been up much of the night doing something with his computer, so he slept while I was both pilot and navigator. Fortunately, there are not lots of roads and complications through there, plus I wouldn't be driving on mountain roads, which makes me uncomfortable bacause of the eye drops I took twenty years ago. (Doesn't make much sense to me either, so I won't try to explain.) Since I was driving, I didn't take any pictures. I should have stopped at the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, which was clearly the highlight of that drive. I had passed the parking area near the bridge by the time I realized what was going on. I did see hordes of people taking pictures, and of course none of them were dancing the sarabande. As we approached Taos, Torrey woke up, and we were unsure of which way to turn. (Or maybe I was sure it was one way, and Torrey was sure it was the other.) So it was time to swap driver and navigator. We did a driving tour of the town and managed to find Wendy's. South of town I figured out how to get on what is called the High Road to Taos (if you're coming from Santa Fe), and we managed to follow that route for the most part, although signs for it are spotty. Maybe it's easier to follow traveling the other way.

When we got near Santa Fe, we rode out to see the opera house from a distance. We drove around downtown Santa Fe and eventually found somewhere to park. At the main plaza we decided to tour the Palace of the Governors, New Mexico's seat of government from 1610 into the twentieth century, under the succession of Spain, Mexico, Spain again, Mexico again, US territory, and into statehood, or something like that. Now it houses historical exhibits and is connected to the modern New Mexico History Museum next door.

There were more modern exhibits in the historical museum section.

In the Lowriders exhibit was a variety of cars from the period and some explanation for the cultural factors that lead people to do strange thrings to their cars.

After some hours in the museum and palace, we headed back out to the plaza and wandered through shops. Torrey bought souvenirs for his children and grandchildren, and we both bought hand-woven blankets from the people who said they had woven them. I've put my blanket on the back of the couch. Those of you familiar with my house will realize that is what is seen of that area from the front half of the house. The colors mostly go well with the room's décor, but there is too much orange in the blanket given all of the Wildcat red in the room.

In the morning we left Santa Fe to return to Weatherford, OK. We passed by miles and miles of wind farms. The main item of interest that we saw along the road was the Cadillac Ranch. We didn't stop, but it is clearly visible from I-40. Upon arriving at Weatherford that evening, Phase One of our trip was behind us. We spent a few days at Torrey's doing laundry and resting up for the rest of the journey.


on to Natchez and Pensacola ->

<- back to Alamosa

Trip Index



Steve Lee's Home Page